Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Closet Make-Over

This was a project that I've been wanting to do for awhile now.  My husband really wasn't ready to take it on but my In-Laws were coming to town so I hit up my father-in-law.  He loves to work on projects and I had a couple in mind for him to choose from.   He chose the closet make-over project while they were staying with us.  His wife was at a conference for church all day for 2 days, my husband was at work so he was stuck with the kids and I.  He likes to be busy, check out the pictures below on what we did.

I also wanted to mention that I originally got this idea from Pinterest but gave my own twist and ideas to the project.  Here's are the pins and websites that I got the idea from.  They both have their own looks to them are wonderful as well.  Check them out here and here.

We started off by taking the ugly white doors off and measuring everything.  We drew up some blue prints and came up with a plan of attack.

Here are the pictures to show the work that was done and the wonderful outcome we had!  Thanks Norbert for helping me out.

Before the closet make-over.
What a scary mess!

Cleaning out the closet!
Yeah, the white doors are gone.

Time to paint.  Just a little back story on painting.  When we first moved into our house 5 years ago my husband painted all the rooms.  I decided I'd try and help him out and put a first coat on in the kids bathroom while he was at work one day.  Needless, to say it wasn't the best and he said, "What the heck did you do in here?"  After that I haven't painted until the closet update, and I think it turned out pretty darn good!

My father-in-law measuring and
cutting for the bench and top shelf.

Painting in progress!
Break time right now, got some good upper
arm workout in painting the top half.

Even one of my kiddos decided to
 help out with the painting.
Here's the finished mud room/closet.

Baskets - purchased from Michael's with 40% off coupons or they were already on sale.
Coat Hooks - found at Target.
Tan (Maple) 15 cube organizer/ shoe shelf on the right - already had from before if you look at the before picture.  (Got from Target a couple of years ago.)
Dark brown (Espresso) 15 cube organizer $29.95 - Target and Wal-Mart no longer had anything to go with the one I had prior.  Ended up getting the Espresso one and the two organizers on the left as well from go organize.com ~ check them out HERE!
Upper shelf and bench with dividers - bought the wood at Lowe's with my father-in-law.  He sanded it down measured and cut it to size for me.  I ended up staining it with some stain we already had and I think it turned out great.  

I have to say, I think the dark and light browns go great together and look really rich and warm.  Very welcoming when coming into the house.  
  

Here's what it looks like now with stuff in it.
No more closet doors to shut and hide all the crap
so it stays pretty clean most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment