Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Supper's Ready!

I was at a friends house this past Saturday and she was preparing all her meals for the week, lunches and suppers!  Lunches for her 4 kids (sandwiches galore, salads for the week for herself) and 5 suppers as well.  Yikes, that's a lot of prep work but like she said, "It makes everything run, so much smoother throughout the week."  They've been doing this for 6 years and it works great.  When it's already prepared all you have to do is take out and bake it or pull it out of the fridge and take your lunch to school or work.  

It got me thinking more about this, as the week started and I decided to give it a go.  I'm on my own with the kids because my hubby is on a business trip and I think the week will go smoother if I'm not stressed about dinner and prepared.  When fall activities for all the kids start up and the evening schedule gets even crazier.  One of us is always running kids here or there.  I asked all the kids yesterday to pick one main dish of what they want for supper this week and it couldn't be something we had the previous week.  (I try to write down on a calendar I have in the kitchen, what we had for supper each day, so we don't get tired of the same old things.) Then we picked a side to go with each day.  The days aren't set in stone of what we are having each day but we know what we are making for the week.  I started the Joy of Cooking page to get a fire started under my booty and get me organized in preparing meals each week.  This was a New Year's Resolution and I'm finally starting it!

Supper ideas this week:
  • Everyone pick:  Price Chopper Chicken Meal - They have a good deal on Tuesday, so no cooking tonight.
  • Kid pick: Corn Dogs with tater tots and pork n' beans
  • Kid pick:  Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper, orange jell-o salad, and broccoli
  • Kid pick:  Lasagna and garlic toast
  • Mom pick:  French toast and eggs
A lot of these ideas above are nothing special but I get tired of making recipes and the kids not liking them.  This way they kids will eat what we are having for supper.  They may not always be that healthy either but we are working on that.  Baby steps!  I did get broccoli added to the Cheeseburger H.H. night.  We ended up melting a little bit of cheese on top before we ate it.

Here's what we had for supper on Monday ~

 

Supper is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment