Monday, April 21, 2014

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

I've always had a hard time remembering the difference between fiction and non-fiction.  Until, my daughter came home from school the other day, and told me the difference and how she remembers them. 

My daughters definition:
Fiction ~ fake
Nonfiction ~ not fake






Definition of fiction in English: (Noun) Literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.

Definition of nonfiction in English: (Noun) Prose writing that is based on facts, real events, and real people, such as biography or history.

Oxford Dictionaries online

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and BackIf you read my previous post about Let's Have Tea, this goes with it.   The two books that I've not finished reading, have both been non-fiction books.  I guess that means, reading true stories are just not my favorite types of books to read or my cup of tea.  I did enjoy the book, Heaven is for Real (nonfictionby Todd Burpo, Sonja Burpo & Colton Burpo, which is now out as a movie.  Can't wait to go see it!

With that being said, this is probably why I really enjoy watching my Soap Opera that I've been watching for 20 years now.   General Hospital just celebrated their 50th Anniversary last year, kind of scary that I've been watching it for almost half that time.  My kids are now starting to watch it, as well.  It's amazing how quickly you get sucked into it.   Takes you away from the real world, and takes you to another world (fiction = fake world).


Pick up a book and read!




No comments:

Post a Comment