Thursday, March 27, 2014

Smoothie time!

Trying to get back into the swing of things, after being gone for a week for Spring Break with the family = FUN TIMES!  More about that under Many Joys!

Had a great workout today!   Went home to have a healthy smoothie with Greek yogurt, to get protein in me.  They say, to have protein at least 30 minutes after a workout, especially a strength workout to help repair your muscles.  So that's exactly what I do. Today's workout will be under Joys of Exercise.

The other day I was at the store with my kids and my son asked me if we were going to buy any of the green stuff.   The green stuff would be SPINACH.  He is my kid that will try pretty much anything.  It really has no flavor, so when you throw it in with some strawberries, blueberries, banana etc. that's what you taste instead.  Of course the darker colored fruits help with the coloring as well. The shake doesn't turn green, and it looks more appetizing if it's not green.  This is what prompted me to share this on my blog.

Yummy, yummy in the tummy!  Here are a couple of healthy smoothies, that I like to make after going to the gym.  

The first one may not look very good but taste great!   It's actually a pretty color, light green instead of seaweed coloring which doesn't look as appetizing. 
SPINACH PINEAPPLE SHAKE
1/2 cup to 1 cup milk (I use vanilla soy milk or almond milk, as I'm lactose intolerant.)  Sometimes I use less sometimes more depending on the consistency I want for my shake.  I like to drink threw a straw so usually more.
  • 1/2 cup or handful of spinach
  • single serving of pineapple with the juice - put in the freezer for 1/2 and hour to get it nice and cold, then you don't have to add ice.  I prefer fresh pineapple but the individual containers work just fine.
  • Dannon Oikos Greek Pineapple Yogurt
ENJOY!

Another great shake - Strawberry/Banana Shake ~
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup or handful of spinach
  • 4 or 5 frozen strawberries
  • 1 banana
  • Not pictured, if I was having it I'd throw in some vanilla or strawberry Greek yogurt.  If I don't have any Greek yogurt to put in the shake my back up is vanilla protein powder, but only in my drinks not my kids.  I do put the yogurt in the kids shakes as well but didn't have any to go with this shake on hand.
ENJOY AGAIN!

It's always amazing how much I can stuff into the single serve blender.  I have a Cooks blender from JCPenny's that was only $25.00 and it works great.  There are many other blenders out there as well, to choose from.





No comments:

Post a Comment